I am so excited for your upcoming session! I just wanted to go over a few details so that you have a better idea of what to expect and how to prepare.
The most important thing to remember is….have fun! This is a time to be yourselves, enjoy each other, and forget about the real world for a bit.
COMPLIMENTARY SESSION STYLING
Choosing the right clothing is the most important thing you can do to make sure your photos are awesome. Your outfits will either make or break your images (no pressure here, right?!) That’s why I’ve started offering this awesome service- Complimentary Session Styling. What exactly does that mean? It means you don’t have to worry AT ALL about what you’re going to wear! I’ll get your sizing information, and ask you a few questions. I’ll hand select a few options for you, and you can decide which one (or ones) you’d like. I’ll bring them to the session, and you can change there. No worries!
And as an incentive to try this service, it comes with a $35 product credit- get a free 8×10 print or spend it towards any product order with Lume Photography!
If you’d like to try the Complimentary Session Styling, just let me know and I’ll be happy to help!
WHAT TO WEAR
If you’d rather pick your own outfits, that’s fine, too! Here are some things to keep in mind and watch out for:
- Colors are so important. Try to coordinate your colors, but don’t match. Please, for the love of all that’s good in the world, don’t show up wearing matching jeans and white t-shirts! Stick to these colors: black, white, brown, taupe, gray, olive green. If you have a different color in mind, ask me first! Try not to wear anything that has a logo (the exception being awesome band tees if you’re going for more of a punk look).
- Add accessories to add interest and texture. A hat, sunglasses, jewelry, or scarf can give just the right amount of punch to a look.
- Layers are awesome for everyone. Add in the layers (jackets, vests, leggings, etc.) and accessories (hats, scarves, suspenders, headbands, etc.) to give your outfits that stylized look.
- Wear leather boots, strappy flat sandals, or go barefoot. If we’ll be walking a lot or hiking, wear or bring appropriate footwear.
- If you normally wear glasses, wear them. If you’re a guy, don’t shave right before the session (to avoid redness and spots).
- For indoor sessions, I recommend something comfy. Guys can wear jeans and a tee, girls can wear jeans or shorts and a tee or big, over-sized sweater.
For the guys:
A safe choice is a pair of black or brown pants with a solid v-neck or button-up shirt with boots or leather shoes. Options for creativity: sports coat, suspenders, fedora, newsboy cap, band tee, biker jacket, jeans.
For the girls:
A long, flowy dress that creates a lot of movement. Pair with a sweater, jacket, shawl, etc. if it’s cooler outside. Or a long, flowy skirt paired with a v-neck, blouse, or tank top. Or a pair of skinny jeans or pants paired with a cute tee and a scarf. Or a cute pair of shorts, boots, and a sweater, v-neck or tank top. Or a vintage dress that’s shorter, but has style.
Girls: consider staying away from sleeveless tops/dresses if you don’t like the way your arms look. Or bring a sweater, jacket, or shawl to cover them up. :)
Refer to my Pinterest board for more inspration:
*I HIGHLY recommend sending me photos of your outfit choices before the session. That way I can let you know if something isn’t going to work, or give you ideas on how to improve your selection if needed.
LOCATION AND LIGHTING
I choose locations based on what I think might work for your own style, and that should have the perfect lighting and backgrounds. I’m open to suggestions, but a lot of times what people think are good locations are normally awesome, but not so much for photos. The opposite is also true- sometimes I find a location that normal people think would never be a good spot for photos, but those end up being some of the best! Factors like light, texture, and color scheme will play one of the biggest roles in how your photos will turn out.
I like to start sessions sessions about an hour to an hour and a half before sunset, because the lighting is most beautiful that time of day! It’s softer, warmer and just the best light for photos. Because the sun is lower in the sky, there are more shadows and the light is more forgiving.
WHAT TO EXPECT
This isn’t going to be like any portrait session you’ve ever had. One of the biggest surprises is that I’m going to ask you not to look at the camera. Yep, you heard me right! No looking at the camera! (Well, unless I ask you to!)
Your job is to relax, try to forget I’m taking photos, and just enjoy each other. Don’t worry- I’ll guide you and give you lots of things to do to keep your mind busy! You can expect to feel kind of awkward at the beginning (ok, maybe really awkward!), but it’s totally normal and we’ll just go with it! Nothing to be afraid of- I won’t ask you to do anything that you’re uncomfortable with. We’ll just hang out for a while and I’ll guide you through the session in a natural, relaxed, easy-going way. :)
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- DON’T BRING ANYTHING WITH YOU. If you bring anything that needs to be carried, it’ll have to be left behind. You’re going to need your hands free, and I’ll be taking photos “in-between” moments, so it’s best to not have anything with you. If it’s absolutely necessary, I can always pack smaller items (water bottles and smaller) in my camera bag and bring them along.
- SHARE IT ALL WITH ME & DON’T HOLD BACK. Honesty is mandatory. Be yourselves. Don’t act like you think you should, I want to capture you as you really are. Remember how you interact when you’re alone, and don’t hide it. Embrace both the goofy laughter and the quiet moments. I will, of course, guide you through all this as we shoot.
- TRUST ME. I absolutely love capturing these images, and I like to think I’m pretty good at it. A lot of the time, I see things in a completely different way- and I love to experiment! You might question some of my ideas (like if I’m like “Oh wow! That’s an awesome pile of dead sticks right there! Let’s use it for a background”) but trust me- it usually turns out amazing!
- EMBRACE THE SPONTANEOUS ELEMENTS. And I don’t just mean the weather. I want you to embrace the rocks, the dirt, the paths less traveled, the wind messing up your hair, and all the other spontaneous and “imperfect” elements. I want to keep it natural and honest, so just let go!
If you have any questions or need help with anything, just let me know! I’m looking forward to our adventure!