I am so excited for your upcoming session! I just wanted to go over a few details so that you have a better idea of what to expect and how to prepare.
The most important thing to remember is….have fun! This is a time to be yourselves, enjoy each other, and forget about the real world for a bit.
WHAT TO WEAR
Start with choosing outfits that are seasonally and location appropriate, and that you feel comfortable in. Clothing should fit well, and you should feel like you look great in them! Layers are always nice and allow quick changes to looks. Above all else, wear clothes that you are comfortable in and that you love.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Colors are so important. Try to coordinate your colors, but don’t be “matchy”. I love dark, earthy colors such as blacks, browns, olive greens, taupes, and dark blues. Try not to wear clothing items that have logos on them. Unless the logo is awesome (like a Black Sabbath t-shirt).
- Add accessories to add interest and texture. A hat, sunglasses, jewelry, or scarf can give just the right amount of punch to a look.
- Layers are awesome for everyone. Add in the layers (jackets, vests, leggings, etc.) and accessories (hats, scarves, bowties, headbands, etc.) to give your outfits that stylized look.
- Wear boots, strappy flat sandals, or go barefoot. Sorry, no flip-flops.
- If you normally wear glasses, wear them. If you’re a guy, don’t shave right before the session (to avoid redness and spots).
- Girls: I highly recommend staying away from sleeveless tops/dresses if you don’t like the way your arms look. :)
Your outfits can really impact your photos, so put some thought into what you’re going to wear. In addition to these tips, check out my Pinterest board for inspiration:
Feel free to send me outfit ideas/questions at any time! The clothes and accessories you choose will be one of the biggest influences on how your photos turn out, so I’m more than happy to help!
LOCATION AND LIGHTING
Typically, I’ll suggest a few location ideas, based on what I think might work for your own style (and my brand), and that I know are great locations for photos. I’m open to suggestions, but a lot of times what people think are good locations are normally awesome, but not so much for photos. The opposite is also true- sometimes I find a location that normal people think would never be a good spot for photos, but those end up being some of the best! Factors like light, texture, and color scheme will play one of the biggest roles in how your photos will turn out. Trust me- it isn’t just the location or the background that makes a great photo. :)
Ideally we would meet somewhere first (maybe for a yummy beverage?) and just chill and talk for little while. This kind of breaks the ice and makes it a little less awkward when we start.
Sunset is best: I schedule almost all of my sessions 1.5 to 2 hours before the sun sets, because the lighting is most beautiful that time of day! It’s softer, warmer and just the best light for photos. Because the sun is lower in the sky, there are more shadows and the light is more forgiving.
WHAT TO EXPECT
This isn’t going to be like any portrait session you’ve ever had. One of the biggest surprises is that I’m going to ask you not to look at the camera. Yep, you heard me right! No looking at the camera! (Well, unless I ask you to!)
Your job is to relax, try to forget I’m taking photos, and just enjoy each other. Don’t worry- I’ll guide you and give you lots of things to do to keep your mind busy! You can expect to feel kind of awkward at the beginning (ok, maybe really awkward!), but it’s totally normal and we’ll just go with it! Nothing to be afraid of- I won’t ask you to do anything that you’re uncomfortable with. We’ll just hang out for a while and I’ll guide you through the session in a natural, relaxed, easy-going way. :)
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- DON’T BRING ANYTHING WITH YOU. If you bring anything that needs to be carried, it’ll have to be left behind. You’re going to need your hands free, and I’ll be taking photos “in-between” moments, so it’s best to not have anything with you. If it’s absolutely necessary, I can always pack smaller items (water bottles and smaller) in my camera bag and bring them along.
- SHARE IT ALL WITH ME & DON”T HOLD BACK. Honesty is mandatory. Be yourselves. Don’t act like you think you should, I want to capture you as you really are. Remember how you interact when you’re alone, and don’t hide it. Embrace both the goofy laughter and the quiet moments. I will, of course, guide you through all this as we shoot.
- TRUST ME. I absolutely love capturing these images, and I like to think I’m pretty good at it. A lot of the time, I see things in a completely different way- and I love to experiment! You might question some of my ideas (like if I’m like “Oh wow! That’s an awesome pile of dead sticks right there! Let’s use it for a background”) but trust me- it usually turns out amazing!
- EMBRACE THE SPONTANEOUS ELEMENTS. And I don’t just mean the weather. I want you to embrace the rocks, the dirt, the paths less traveled, the wind messing up your hair, and all the other spontaneous and “imperfect” elements. I want to keep it natural and honest, so just let go!
Oh- by the way- you can expect that for the first 15 minutes, you’ll feel totally awkward. This is completely normal! During this time we’ll take it slow, and I’ll show you what to expect for the rest of the session. I’ll take some practice shots, and I promise things will get easier and less awkward the more we hang out. :)
If you have any questions or need help with anything, just let me know! I’m looking forward to our adventure!